A combination mudroom and laundry room with window shutters are great for any Elk Grove, CA home. These small rooms pack big punches, from giving the opportunity to remove muddy clothes without dirtying the house to a simple solution for staying organized. With the right planning and these tips, it’s easy to design a great mudroom/laundry room for your home.
- A Drop Zone – Drop zones are areas where the members of your family can drop their various items as they enter the house, like shoes, bags, wallets, and keys. Ensure everyone has their own drop zone to keep things organized. Try hooks or cubbies for the larger items and shelves or drawers for smaller items.
- Utility Sink – You don’t want to use your nice kitchen or bathroom sinks for muddy feet, dirty pet paws, or icky laundry water. Make sure your laundry room/mudroom has a big utility sink perfect for handling all the mess that comes with a home. Plus, utility sinks are also great for rinsing chemicals you don’t want in your kitchen sink, like bleach or stain remover.
- Lots of Storage – The more storage your mudroom/laundry room has the better! If you can add floor-to-ceiling cabinets, go for it. This is because the space needs to store both laundry items and mudroom items, from laundry detergent, hampers, and cleaning supplies to hats, gloves, boots, scarves, bags, and more.
- Natural Light with Window Shutters – Mudroom/laundry rooms are usually pretty small, but you can make yours feel bigger by bringing in as much natural light as possible. Install large windows to bring in sunlight, and finish them off with functional and stylish window treatments like window shutters to control the light you want in the space as needed and to add fresh but traditional style.
- Hanging Rack – You can’t forget a place to hang wet clothes. Try hanging a pole higher up so it’s not in the way, and look for pull-out drying racks for smaller items like intimates and socks.
- Pocket Door – One of the easiest ways to add more space to your mudroom/laundry room is to install a pocket door instead of a standard door. Not only do they save space, but pocket doors will also help mute the sound of your washer and dryer.
- Places to Sit – Where will you sit to take off your shoes? Make sure your space has a bench or chair of some kind. Pro tip: storage benches are great for adding a place to sit and additional storage.
- Folding and Ironing Space – Ironing and folding aren’t fun, but they won’t be as bad if you include cute, organized areas in your mudroom/laundry for the tasks. If you’re short on space, try adding a wall-mounted table or ironing board that can fold away when not in use. No matter what you choose, be sure you have enough room to iron and fold without being cramped.
Do you want more home design ideas or information about Elk Grove, CA window shutters? The Shutter Source is here to help. After all, these are just a few tips for designing a great combination mudroom and laundry room Call or visit us today.