Exterior shutters provide a distinctive look to the outside of a home, enhancing “curb appeal” with a timeless look of traditional European beauty that is both decorative and inexpensive. Exterior shutters come in many in many materials and designs, including:
Vinyl Shutters are made from PVC (Poly Vinyl Chloride) and come in many different colors which are infused throughout the material. They are hollow in the back (against your wall), relatively easy to install, and are not meant to function. They are only for decorative purposes. Vinyl shutters are available in many standard sizes and in custom lengths. These shutters are the most inexpensive of the exterior shutters.
Wooden shutters are the most versatile of the exterior shutters. They can be designed in a variety of different kinds of wood species, with unlimited design possibilities. Wooden exterior shutter can be both either unfinished or finished and can be functional or decorative. Exterior shutters made of wood require extra care both in quality of materials and regular maintenance.
MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard) is an alternate to hollow vinyl. These shutters can look like the more expensive wood shutters but they are meant for decorative use only. The products come both unfinished and painted. The better ones use a water resistant material. Care must be taken upon installation as there should not be any coating intrusions where moisture can penetrate.
Fiberglass shutters are the most durable of all exterior shutters. These shutters are painted and can be highly decorative as well as functional. They are very durable with minimal maintenance. Although some fiberglass shutters may display some color fading after many years of service, they can be repainted.
Decorative Exterior Shutters
Exterior shutters are an important part of buildings. Shutters can provide light control, privacy, security, and protection from the weather. They were originally designed to do this. Shutters that swing closed when needed can be fixed to tracks on the façade of a building.
Advantages of Exterior Shutters:
- Shutters provide a cohesive look to your home’s exterior design.
- Exterior shutters are an easy and inexpensive way to add curb appeal.
- They protect windows from sun damage and help keep the interior of the house cooler in summer months.
- They can be painted in any color or pattern you want, so they will match with your house’s design.
- You don’t have to worry about them breaking because they’re made out of vinyl or wood, which is durable and long-lasting.
- If you need window treatments but don’t want curtains, shutters are a great alternative.
- Exterior Shutters come in many different styles – from traditional to modern.
- Exterior shutters are durable and weather-resistant.
- They can be custom-designed to fit with the color of your home’s exterior.
Should I install shutters on the exterior of my home?
Installing decorative exterior shutters on your windows not only amps up the curb appeal of any home and scores high among renovation projects, but also gives you that finishing touch with style. The way in which these window dressings can be designed though will determine whether or not they’re eyesores rather than an excellent detail for decorating.