While most people have stayed at home recently, it’s now time to get back out there and go on vacation! As you prepare to head out of town on a trip, you need to make sure your home is ready, too. Keep your house sealed and safe while you’re out of town on vacation by following these tips, like hiring a house or pet sitter or installing safe and efficient window shutters on your Elk Grove, CA home:
- Hold Your Mail – Ask your local post office to hold your mail while you’re away. This way, your mailbox and front porch won’t be full of tempting packages and mail for people with bad intentions to see or steal.
- Hire a House Sitter – Hire someone or ask a friend or neighbor to stop by your house while you’re gone. They can water your plants, bring in packages, and turn the lights on and off.
- Lock Your Windows – Deter theft by making sure all your windows and doors are locked. You can even take it a step further and invest in window treatments that also lock, like window shutters.
- Clean Before You Leave – Not only is it great to come home to a nice, clean home, but the more you clean before you leave the less likely it is that you’ll come home to odors, pests, or other nasty surprises. Clear the fridge of leftovers and other perishables, run the garbage disposal with some ice cubes and lemon rinds, and wipe down all your kitchen countertops to clear away bits of food. Make sure you don’t leave any wet towels, clothes, or sheets in the washing machine or laundry basket, either.
- Take Out the Trash – Nothing gets smellier than trash left inside while you’re on vacation. Don’t forget to take out the recycling, too.
- Put Your Car in the Garage (and Close the Door!) – This will help deter theft and will help keep your car safe in case of inclement weather. Plus, your car will stay clean.
- Unplug What You Can – Unplug appliances like TVs, computers, toasters, and coffee makers to save you on power usage and to keep them safe in the event of a power surge.
- Leave a Light On – A dark house is a dead giveaway that no one is home. If you can, set a light on a timer to turn on when it gets dark out. If you don’t have a timer, just leave one or two lights on in the house.
- Set Your Thermostat – Make sure your home is set to a reasonable temperature, like 80 degrees in the summer or 50 degrees in the winter. This week keep your home safe and comfortable and will also help you from wasting energy while you’re away.
It’s easy to have a fun, worry-free vacation if you follow these tips and prep your home. Want more home ideas or information on Elk Grove, CA window shutters? The Shutter Source is here to help. Call or visit us today to learn more about what we can do for you and your home.