Adding exterior window shutters to your Folsom, CA home is always a good idea. Shutters add interest to your home, and are also very functional in that they protect your windows from the elements, boost privacy, and control natural light. There are tons of different kinds of shutters for you to choose from for your home.
Functional shutters have hinges on both sides of the window, or at the top, and can swing open or closed depending on your preference, while non-functional shutters are merely used for decoration. There are functional shutters with operable louvers for air transfer, sunlight filtration, and extra protection, as well as solid panel and board-and-batten shutters that are best for security or protection during severe weather.
Within these kinds of window shutters in Sacramento are more options through different kinds of materials like:
- Vinyl – Vinyl Shutters are made from Poly Vinyl Chloride, or PVC. They are available in many different colors, and they are built to last, though are not meant to be functional.
- Wood – Wood exterior shutters are very versatile, but they do require a lot of care and maintenance, however, and they can be on the pricier side.
- MDF – Medium Density Fiberboard, or MDF, is a simple alternative to hollow vinyl for exterior window shutters as they look just like wood shutters, but are much less expensive and are only for decoration.
- Fiberglass – Fiberglass exterior shutters are the most durable of all the shutter options. They come in various paints and colors so they are just as decorative as they are functional.
With all these different kinds of exterior window shutters, how do you choose what kind is best for your home? Try these tips:
- Think About Your Style – It’s easy to find exterior shutters to match the style of any home, but you do need to find shutters that match. For example, Ranch and Cape Cod style homes look best with raised panel and louvered shutters, while French Country homes go great with board and batten shutters.
- Focus on Paint Quality – It’s wise to put your money into durable and premium shutter paint, as they paint will not only protect your shutters for years to come but can also help decrease the amount of maintenance you have to do.
- Customize – Don’t be afraid to spend a little extra money on customizing shutters for your home. This is especially true as many pre-made shutters don’t fit every single window, and you need your shutters to match your window height exactly.
- Don’t Forget About Climate – The right shutters can greatly improve your home’s energy efficiency, so you should take your climate into consideration when shutter shopping. For example, louvered style provides ventilation even when closed to block the view without blocking airflow, while raised panel style offer great insulation to help keep heat transfer to a minimum.
Use these tips to help you find the best exterior window shutters for your home. If you want to learn more about Folsom, CA window shutters, simply contact The Shutter Source by visiting 11265 Sunrise Gold Cir Ste K Rancho Cordova, CA 95742, or calling (877) 333-9424.