There isn’t anything that can replace the timeless style, function and appeal of adding window shutters to your Folsom, CA home. However, if you’re in a rental unit or are looking for a temporary solution while you save up for permanent shutters, there are a few easy DIY window treatments out there that won’t break the bank.
Whether you’re looking for a quick privacy fix, style boost or some energy efficiency before you install permanent shutters, here are some of the most popular DIY options:
- Window Film – Peel and stick window film is a cheap and easy way to add some privacy to a window. You can find options at almost any hardware store, superstore or online retailer, and can easily stick some onto any window.
- No-Sew Curtains – You can make curtains without a needle or sewing machine. All you need is some fabric, a curtain rod and scissors. Cut the fabric into pieces that are about six inches wide and six inches longer than your window. Attach the fabric to the curtain rod with some knots, then hang the curtain rod.
- Repurposing – Old bedsheets, napkins, scarves and other items from around your house can be repurposed as curtains. Sew or glue some ribbons on the back of the fabric every six inches to make tabs, and then slide a curtain rod through the tabs to hang the fabric as curtains.
- Roman Shades – Anyone can make Roman shades out of tension rods and fabric. You can also take apart some mini blinds to make your own Roman shades for an even easier, less DIY route.
- Stenciled Draperies – If your existing drapes are boring or out of date you can spruce them up with some stencils and spray paint. Lay them down as flat as you can out in your yard or on a deck, taking care to weigh down the edges. Place whatever stencil you want on the fabric then use a spray paint to fill them in for a brand-new look.
- Tiebacks – You can also add some life into your existing curtains with some new creative tiebacks. You can use almost anything around the house from bels and chains to ribbons, necklaces, twine, lace or even a stuffed animal bow. Choose an item that fits your style.
- Valences – Rather than buy an expensive valance before you buy shutters you can make your own out of foam core, old placemats, remnant fabric, tulle, or whatever else strikes your fancy.
These DIY window treatment ideas are perfect for passing the time between when you need new window shutters and when you buy them, or for decorating your windows beyond your shutters. It’s easy to add even more style to your home with a little creativity.
The Shutter Source, located at 11265 Sunrise Gold Cir Ste K Rancho Cordova, CA 95742, can offer you much more advice and information on Folsom, CA window shutters. Please stop by and visit us or give us a call at (877) 333-9424 to learn more about what we can do for you.