What is mid-century modern style and how can you use it for the window shutters on your Elk Grove, CA home? Keep reading to find out!
Mid-century modern home design refers to the most popular home styles from about 1945-to 1969. During this time period, there was a strong push to switch to a new style of architecture and decoration to overhaul the traditional appearance of American buildings, symbolizing a new chapter for the country. The most common elements of this style are organic shapes, clean lines, minimalism, and geometric figures all presented in an uncluttered way. The color palette for this trend usually uses bright, bold accent colors against primary neutral tones. These striking features all combine to create a simple yet modern look that’s still very popular today.
If you’re looking to try the mid-century modern style in your home, you can start with these design elements:
- Earthy Green – When you think about the 50s and 60s, you most likely picture lots of dark, earthy green. These colors look great with other mid-century modern palates like gold, burnt orange, and dark brown. Adding earthy greens to an accent wall, furniture, accent pieces, or even window treatments is a great way to bring some of that mid-century modern style to your home.
- Gold – Mid-century modern style uses a lot of gold and other metallics to offset all the natural colors and to bring a hint of elegance and drama to the space. Try incorporating gold into your home in paint, furniture, décor items, and art. You could even go big and try gold window treatments, like window shutters or drapes.
- Mixed Materials – This design style was all about breaking the mold and creating something new. Prior to the time period, interior design never mixed materials. But mid-century modern homes combine all kinds of materials from teak and metal to wood, glass, and more. The style also combines unique furniture elements like tapered table legs and low-profile chairs.
- Bold Window Treatments – Traditional mid-century modern windows are big and commanding, necessitating big and commanding window treatments. When choosing the right window treatments for your mid-century modern home style, be sure to consider the size and shape of your windows as well as the colors in the rest of the room. For example, try window shutters in a metallic gold tone or an earthy green hue and finish them with large, flowing drapes that span from the floor to the ceiling. You can also try fabric roller shades or wooden roller shades to bring more materials and streamlined, modern elements into the space.
When decorating your home in a mid-century modern style, it all comes down to balancing bold colors and geometric prints with natural, soothing elements. Find whatever balance works best for you and your home, and then have some fun!
Do you want more tips in mid-century modern home design or Elk Grove, CA window shutters? We are here to help. Call or visit us today to learn more about our window shutters offerings and services.
While status isn’t everything, it does feel nice when your home looks valuable. Especially the outside of your home, as curb appeal affects everything from what people passing by think of you and your home to your house’s resale value. What’s more, increasing your home’s curb appeal can be incredibly satisfying and rewarding. Want your home to look more expensive? Just use these tips, like adding window shutters, to make your Elk Grove, CA home look more expensive.
The good news is, that it’s easier than you think to make your home look better from the outside. These are just a few tips to help your home look its best:
- Front Door Hardware – If you don’t have the budget to replace your front door, just replace the hardware. Invest in new doorknobs, latches, locks, kickplates, or door knockers to give your entire entryway a simple, affordable refresh.
- New Windows and Window Shutters – Old, dingy windows and window treatments can make your home look old and dingy from the outside. New replacement windows with fresh, clean frames as well as brand-new and sparkling window shutters will work wonders for your curb appeal. Plus, they will also improve your home’s energy efficiency, which will translate into long-term savings on your heating and cooling bill.
- Window Boxes – Flowers are so welcoming and beautiful. Cover your home’s exterior with flowers by adding window boxes and filling them with lush greenery, flowers, or a mix of them both. To keep your home looking lavish year-round, replace the plants in the window boxes every season.
- Lighting – Nothing is more luxurious than a beautifully lit yard at night. Add lighting to your landscaping plan to quickly make your home look more expensive. Try lights shining upwards on your front façade, lighting up a garden wall, or framing your entry walkway.
- Walkway – You won’t be able to find an expensive celebrity mansion with a dirty, overgrown walkway. Take a page out of your favorite celeb’s book and refresh your entry walkway. Trim the plants, power washes the sidewalk or bricks, and be sure to add fresh flowers for some color.
- Front Door – Your front door is the first thing your guests see, so why not make it the best it can be? Try replacing your door with a fancier one with sidelight or transom windows, as this will make your home look more elegant and will also bring more natural light into your entryway. You can also paint your existing door a fresh, new color to show off your personality.
- Garage Door – A new garage door will make it seem like you shelled out thousands for a new garage! Modern garage doors can make your home look 20 years younger, newer, and more expensive. Plus, you can choose from many styles that can transform your home.
These are simple and relatively inexpensive ways you can help make your home look more valuable on the outside. Want more information on home improvement or Elk Grove, CA window shutters? Get in touch with us today!
Want to try a new décor style for the overall look of window shutters on your Elk Grove, CA home? Rustic décor might be just the thing you need. Rustic style is all about cozy comfort and warm welcomes with natural fibers, wood, and muted color. It leans into the calmness of nature and charm of simplicity, making it a great choice for any home.
But you won’t find bold colors or busy patterns in rustic decor. Loud accent walls and flashy modern art also don’t fit this design style. Rustic decor is meant to be welcoming and homey, so any stuffy or overly ornate design elements need to go. There’s a place for busy, maximalist curtains and bright accent furniture, but it isn’t in your rustic home.
Before starting on a new décor project, build a mood board. Mood boards allow you to gather inspiration in different forms to lead your design scheme. Collect pieces of fabric, pictures of materials, or photographs of existing spaces to inspire your rustic look. Try gathering colors like browns, beiges, grays, and tans in warm hues as well as aesthetics like exposed beams, handmade items, and functional furniture. Then, when you go to make design choices, you can refer back to your mood board for guidance.
Perhaps the most important piece of a rustic-style home is the window coverings. What can window treatments can you use for a rustic look?
- Wood Blinds – Wood blinds are excellent for rustic style as they’re made of wood and therefore have that warm, natural appeal. However, they can also be stained or painted almost any color if you ever want to update your décor. You can also look into motorized blinds to help control the amount of natural light you get in a space. There are many modern motorized blind styles that are minimalist enough to match rustic décor.
- Bamboo or Woven Shades – These window treatments are both eco-friendly and perfect for rustic decor. Made from bamboo, grasses, reeds, and Jutes, they help create a natural yet elegant air in any space. Plus, bamboo works well with earth tones in wooden furniture and woven rugs, making it an ideal material for a rustic look.
- Shutters – Shutters, especially wood shutters, are perfect for a rustic-style home as they evoke a timeless craftsman air with a comforting appeal. Shutters come in a wide variety of finishes, stains, and colors, or you can custom color-match them to your window trim or other wood accents in the room. Even better, shutters naturally insulate your windows and therefore help lower your energy spending.
You have lots of options when it comes to rustic window treatments and décor. To decide, consider light control, insulation, and cost. You can also turn to the guidelines laid out on your mood board, as visualizing the different window treatments in your own space can be extremely helpful.
Want more guidance on home style or Elk Grove, CA window shutters? We are here to help! Call or visit us today.
Elevating your home’s interior design can be one of the most satisfying parts of being a homeowner as it not only helps your home look better, but it can also make your home more valuable and leave you feeling proud of all your hard work. From a new coat of paint to new window shutters, you can make your Elk Grove, CA home look more expensive or valuable than it really is.
Whether you have guests coming who you want to impress or you just want to refresh your home, there’s no time like the present to make your house look its best. Here are some easy ways you can improve the interior of your home to make it look more luxurious. These are just a few tips to help your home look the best it can:
- Faux Built Ins – Built in bookcases are endlessly elegant, giving any home that expensive look. But true built ins can be very pricey. Luckily, you can get that built-in look with floor-to-ceiling bookcases in the same color as your wall. Buy a few bookcases and place them side by side for a complete look, then finish them off by carefully places books and other decoration items.
- Windows – Old, dingy windows make your home look dated and unloved. But fresh replacement windows? They always look chic and expensive. Investing in replacement windows will also help you spend less money on your energy bill and will help keep your home at a more comfortable temperature.
- Clean and Declutter – Decluttering really breathes new life into your home as it allows your gaze to follow the home’s natural lines and architectural features. Even better, a clean home is a serene, comfortable home. And what’s more luxurious than serenity and comfort? Begin by putting extra items away in cabinets or boxes to clear space for your décor to really shine. If you miss those items after six months, bring them back out.
- Window Shutters – Window treatments have a big impact on a space’s overall feel, and those old ones you got back in college aren’t doing your house any favors. Elevate your indoor décor with fresh new window treatments like timeless shutters, modern motorized shades, or ultra-chic blinds.
- Decorative Molding – Crown molding is one of the hallmark signs of a valuable home, but finding homes with vintage crown molding can be tough. Give your home an expensive-looking facelift by adding in your own decorative molding. A quick trip to the home renovation store for some wood, paint and lots of careful measuring is all you need.
- Fresh Flowers – Nature is lovely, so why not use it as art? Fill your home with fresh greenery and flowers for a sophisticated, calming vibe. Keep the arrangements simple for maximum effect, and don’t be afraid to play with different stems and colors for a new look. You can even go outside in your yard and pick a few long branches for a minimalist look!
Want more information on Elk Grove, CA window shutters or tips on making your house look its best? Call or visit us today!
Decorating your guest bedroom is your chance to have some fun and add both personality and function for the benefit of your guests. As you’re selecting everything from furniture to duvet covers, don’t forget to think about window coverings, such as window shutters, for your Elk Grove, CA guest bedroom. Window treatments are important when it comes to both form and function, making window shutters a great choice.
Shutters offer a range of benefits for your guest bedroom, including privacy. They fit tight across the entire window, but the louvers can be tilted up or down to let light in while still maintaining privacy. Shutters are also great for guest bedrooms because they increase home security to keep your guests feeling safe and secure. Shutters completely block off the window so no one can see inside your home, and they stay firmly shut so no one can break-in.
Shutters also help keep your guests at a comfortable temperature as they are highly insulating. They form a barrier between the outside air and the window to help keep the inside air at the right temperature. As a bonus, this feature also helps you save on energy usage. Finally, shutters also come in a range of colors and styles to suit your guest room. You can also add curtains and other window finishes on top of the plantation shutters for a completely unique look.
Here are even more tips to help you get the most out of your guest bedroom window coverings:
- Neutral Doesn’t Mean Boring – It’s best to keep guest room décor neutral so as not to overwhelm your guests. But neural doesn’t mean boring. Make your neutral color scheme shine with subtle patterns, gradients, or tone-on-tone designs as well as textured fabrics and materials. You can also add pops of modern hardware on your shutter pulls or curtain rods for a modern touch.
- Keep it Consistent – Your guest room is part of your home. As such, it should have décor and window treatments that tie into the style of the rest of your house. While the window treatments in your guest room don’t have to be identical to the ones in your room or the living room, they should have a consistent color scheme or overall style to help pull the house together. Try using the same color curtains or the same shade of shutters to give your window treatments a consistent look.
- Choose Warm Colors and Finishes – Warm colors, meaning those with yellow, orange, or red undertones, will help make your guestroom feel cozy and inviting. While you can still toss in pops of cool colors like grays, purples, and greens, be sure to keep your overall color palate warm to soften the space and make it feel welcoming for your guests. You can also explore adding new colors and decor for variation between repeat visits.
It’s easy to make your guestroom look great with these tips. For more design tips or information on Elk Grove, CA window shutters, call or visit us today.
Buying a new home? Congrats! Searching for a new home is exciting — especially when you find what seems to be the perfect house. But just because a house appears perfect doesn’t mean it is. If you’re not careful, you could spend tons of money on a home and then turn around and spend even more money on fixes including window shutters in Elk Grove, CA.
When shopping for a home, be on the lookout for these red flags:
- Cracked or Damaged Shutters – Unlike other window coverings, shutters stay on your home appraisal as a hard fixture upgrade This means that they add long term value to your home, and can even help you recoup the money you spent on them in the years to come. However, this also means that damaged shutters could impact the value of any new home you buy.
- Sagging Ceilings – Sagging ceilings can be from foundation issues to leaks, both of which mean lots of money to spend on repairs. Be sure to check for sagging ceilings, bubbles in ceiling paint, or wet spots on the ceiling when viewing a home.
- Window Condensation – Foggy windows or windows with condensation in between the panes are not good, as these are signs that the windows have a broken seal and are no longer airtight or energy efficient. The good news is that foggy windows are easily fixed if you replace them with brand new windows. However, you need to consider if you want to add that cost to the costs of buying a new home.
- Water Damage – Stains, bubbles, or spots are classic signs of water damage. Keep an eye out when looking at the home for these signs as water damage can cause aesthetic and structural problems as well as mold growth, which is bad for your health. One water stain isn’t necessarily a big deal, but we recommend double-checking with a professional inspector to ensure that what you see isn’t an indication of a larger issue beneath the surface.
- Termite Damage – All termite species hollow out wood and chew through it, leaving the home damaged, unsanitary, and potentially dangerous. When you inspect a home, check for signs of termite damage in wood walls, floors, and ceilings including discolored paint or wood, bubbles in wood or paint, mud tubes, and insect wings.
- Lots of For Sale Signs – Take a look at the neighborhood. Are there lots of For Sale signs? If so, it might not be as great of an area as you thought. Do further research into the neighborhood before buying.
- Foundation Cracks – Cracks in a foundation can cause a host of issues from floor damage all the way to major structural dangers. Check the home’s exterior, basement, and under the floors to for foundation cracks.
- Sloping Floors – If floors in a house are sloping, you might be facing serious structural issues from rotten floor supports and collapsed beams to soil or foundation problems. To easily check for sloping floors, bring a marble with you to viewing and place it on the floor. If it rolls around, the floor is most likely not level.
We are here to help with all of your Elk Grove, CA window shutters needs. Call or visit us today to learn more.
From enjoying pizza and football with friends to spending a weekend afternoon playing video games in your own space, your man cave is the room that will most reflect your personality. You’ve probably thought a lot about the TV, couch, chairs, barstools, and other accessories. But have you thought about the window treatments? While picking out curtains for the windows in the rest of the home isn’t your favorite, choosing the window shutters for your Elk Grove, CA man cave certainly should be.
Don’t know where to start? Don’t worry, we’re here to offer you tips and advice for choosing the best possible window treatments for your man cave:
- Consider Your Window Treatment Uses – While the curtains in the living room might just be for decoration, the window treatments in your man cave have specific jobs to do. For example, you might want them to reduce glare, as playing video games or watching a big game is tough when the light is glaring off the TV. You might also want your window treatments to keep the room dark, as light pollution will put a damper on that scary movie or make you mess up the important play in your game.
- Think About Style – While the style might not be at the top of your list, it is something you should consider. The décor in your man cave does reflect your personal taste, so the window treatments should be considered as such. Plus, this might be the only space in the house you get to decorate all on your own with your unique style. Having a part of the house to yourself that looks exactly how you want it makes relaxing and enjoying your favorite hobbies easier. When thinking about style, be sure to consider color and pattern. Darker colors are traditionally more masculine, and solid patterns make it easier to add flair in other places.
- Don’t Forget About Material – The material of your window treatment is important as it impacts both style and function. For example, wood or vinyl window shutters are ideal for blocking out light, increasing privacy, and boosting security as well as providing a traditionally masculine look. Also, thicker, heavier fabrics are also more traditionally masculine than thin, wispy fabrics. Can’t pick just one? Try layering shutters or blinds with draperies or curtains for added privacy and style.
- Take it Up a Notch with Motorization – Your man cave is full of the latest technology. Why not include your window treatments in that category? You can find motorized window shutters, blinds, and shades that you can adjust with the touch of a button or the flick of an app on your phone. Motorized window coverings also easily integrate with your smart home devices like Amazon Alexa, Apple HomeKit, Google Assistant, Nest, Sonos, and more so you can control them by speaking.
Your man cave will be the talk of the town with these window covering tips. We are here to help if you want more information on décor or Elk Grove, CA window shutters. Call or visit us today.
Your window shutters are one of the essential features of your home. They let light in, help keep the air fresh, and even help keep your home at a comfortable temperature. How can you keep the window shutters on your Elk Grove, CA, beautiful home year after year?
Here are expert tips to help you maintain your windows and window treatments for years to come.
- Clean Them with Soap and Water – Your shutters are busy protecting your home from dust, dirt, wind, rain, humidity, and even intruders. It’s no wonder they get dirty! Even windows underneath shutters or other exterior treatments get covered in dirt, spider webs, and pollen. Give your window frames and shutters regular cleanings with mild dish soap and water, taking care to dry them thoroughly to prevent water or soap spots.
- Wash the Glass – Your window shutters won’t look good if the glass underneath is dirty! Your windows won’t let natural light in if the glass is covered in dust, dirt, and grime. Make your windows shine by cleaning the glass with a mixture of one cup of white vinegar and one cup of water in a spray bottle. Spritz and wipe them clean using a lint-free cloth. Don’t forget to clean both sides of the glass. You might be amazed at how much dulling dirt and dust build up inside.
- Protect Your Shutters from the Elements – Your shutters are constantly exposed to the elements, including sunshine. Luckily, some new paints and stains resist fading even in bright light. If you’re in the mood for a new shutter color, this is an excellent opportunity to add a layer of protection for even more longevity. If you decide to change from a painted surface to a stain down the line, you can always strip the paint before applying the new color.
- Check the Locks – As windows and shutters also offer protection, it’s good to do regular checks and maintenance on the locking mechanisms. Check the make sure the locks function well. Try using an anti-stick spray or invest in new ones if they’re sticking.
- Maintain Weatherstripping – While technically not part of your shutters, you should still do regular checks on your window weatherstripping. Run your hand around the edge of the window to feel for drafts or look for signs of sunlight. If the stripping is still sealed and in good condition, clean it thoroughly and apply a light coat of furniture wax for extra protection.
- Mind the Curtains – Your window treatments beyond your shutters are a big part of how your window looks. As such, they need some love and care, too. Do your best to clean and maintain your window treatments, run the curtains through the washing machine or perform general maintenance on your window blinds.
We help ensure your Elk Grove, CA replacement windows are the best they can be. Please stop by and visit us today or give us a call to learn more about our services.
If you have kids, choosing the right window treatments for your home isn’t just about style and function. It’s also about safety. While aesthetics, durability, maintenance, and functionality are critical factors, safety should be the primary concern for your window treatments. Learn more about child-safe window coverings like window shutters to help make your Elk Grove, CA home a safe place to learn and grow.
Dangling cords from window treatments are some of the biggest causes of injury and fatalities in children. Kids can easily and quickly get tangled up in cords like the inner cords in horizontal blinds and Roman shades, continuous loop cords used in vertical and roll-up shades, and even loops created after installation, leading to tragic results. Even knotting or tying up lines doesn’t make them safe, as the knots and ties can make it even easier for little ones to get tangled.
So, what can you do? How can you cover your windows?
When it comes to safety, cordless window treatments are the best choice. Here is a list of stylish, functional, and safe cordless window treatment options to inspire your choice:
- Shutters – Window shutters are child-safe options with classic style and convenient function. Available in different wood and composite materials, plenty of colors, and hundreds of different shapes and styles, it’s easy to find shutters that work with your home décor needs and window shapes.
- Cordless Blinds – Instead of cords, cordless blinds use a hidden lift mechanism to raise and lower the blind. You have to push up on the blind to open or pull it down to close. They have a sleek, clean, and modern look and are incredibly easy to operate.
- Motorized Window Treatments – Motorized window treatments like shades, blinds, and shutters are great for safety and function as they are built without cords. Plus, they’re incredibly convenient as they give you complete control with a button, remote, or even an app on your phone. You can also find motorized window coverings with a system of heat sensors that automatically adjusts the body as the temperatures change throughout the day, boosting energy efficiency and saving money.
- Cellular Shades – Cellular shades’ honeycomb design saves energy, is cordless for safety, and makes controlling light easy even from hard-to-reach windows from even the most challenging window to reach. What’s more, you can find cellular shades in various colors and textures.
- Roller Shades – Roller shades work alone when paired with other window treatments like curtains. They come in many different colors, textures, and fabrics to match your décor and offer various light filtering and room darkening options that provide just the amount of light control you need. The best part? They’re cord-free!
Don’t take a chance on cords when it comes to child or pet safety. Pick the safest products available, like Elk Grove, CA, window shutters. The Shutter Source is here to help if you want more tips on home safety, shutters, or choosing the best window coverings for your home. Call today!
Are you bored inside? Try these safe outdoor activities, like testing your green thumb or caring for the window shutters on your Elk Grove, CA home.
Like many people, you’re probably running out of ways to stay occupied while staying safe during the COVID-19 pandemic. And, like many, you’re most likely getting sick of waiting inside. How can you spend time outside and stay safe during the pandemic? We know these are unprecedented times, and we will get through this. Here are a few tips to help make these days productive and not so dull:
- Give Your Windows and Shutters Some TLC – How clean are your windows and window shutters? Get outside in the sunshine and fresh air to clean them! You can even go a step further and pressure washes your patio, driveway, gutters, and outdoor furniture for a whole new level of cleanliness. After cleaning your windows and window shutters, please give them a once-over for other finishing touches. Do they need a fresh coat of paint? New hardware? Complete the task, and you’ll feel better about your home.
- Test Your Green Thumbs – Whether or not you’ve been a gardener in the past, now’s the time to reinvigorate or test out your green thumbs. Even simple gardening tasks like spreading mulch, trimming, weeding, and planting new flowers can not only give your outdoor space a facelift. Still, they can also lift your spirits with some much-needed outdoor time and vitamin D. Look around your yard, garden, or outdoor space and take inventory. What needs some attention? Could you plant new shrubs or flowers?
- Play a Game – Let your inner child run free with some outdoor games. Go nuts with classics like hopscotch, sidewalk chalk, tag, hide and seek, or skipping rope. Experiment with more challenging pastimes like croquet, horseshoes, badminton, or bocce ball. Bring some board games out to your patio to play in the sunshine and fresh air if yard games aren’t your thing.
- Celebrate Your Neighborhood – We can still be social even if we’re distanced. Plan a scavenger hunt around the block for the local kids, or set up a “drive-by bear hunt,” where kids look for teddy bears in windows or on porches. Put signs on your front door to thank delivery people for keeping you supplied or characters in your yard thanking others for their service, including healthcare workers, first responders, grocery store employees, and teachers.
- Take it Outside – Even if you’re running out of traditional outdoor activities, take your other activities outside. Do your next workout in the yard, or bring your laptop out on the patio to breathe fresh air during a Zoom meeting or brainstorm session. Have dinner or even a snack outside, or make date night feel special by making a picnic in the yard.
These are just a few ways to stay occupied and productive outside during the pandemic. Want more tips on home improvement or Elk Grove, CA window shutters? Get in touch with The Shutter Source today.