2022 will be here before we know it. Do you have plans to update your home in the new year? If so, you might need some inspiration. Here are the top projected home remodeling trends, including adding expansive glass and window shutters to your Elk Grove, CA home, to inspire you:
- Black Window Frames – With modern farmhouses taking over the design scene, it makes sense that black window frames will continue to be popular well into 2022. This home trend is most likely inspired by the early 1900s when factories and lofts used black on all their finishes. Today, black window frames look great with clean white homes as they add dramatic definition.
- Natural Wood Finishes – Natural wood and wood-tone trims are warm, comforting, and very popular. This look fits well with more traditional and contemporary homes, fitting in some of nature’s beauty for a serene feel. Try incorporating natural wood finishes in window trim, wood slat ceilings, or wood exposed beams.
- Blue Tones – Blue is back! In fact, Pantone 19-4052 is the “color of the year,” with the description: “Instilling calm, confidence, and connection, this enduring blue hue highlights our desire for a dependable and stable foundation on which to build as we cross the threshold into a new era.” Try this particular blue or any other blue shade in your entryway, on your trim, or even in your interior décor. It pairs best with other bold colors and clean, simple whites.
- Arched Windows – Likening images of a Southwestern estate or a Mediterranean villa, arched windows are all about old-world charm. This 2022 trend will see arches popping up in windows as well as entry doors, hallway openings, transoms above French doors, above exterior doors, and even half-moon windows added to existing windows.
- Expansive Glass – Nothing says 2022 like large, expansive swaths of glass. Whether this is achieved with new replacement windows, picture windows, sliding glass doors, or even entire walls of glass, this look is going to add a modern appeal and natural warmth to many homes. Don’t forget to finish your expansive glass with privacy-enhancing window shutters.
- Outdoor Spaces – With most of us spending lots more time at home, outdoor spaces are much more important. 2022 is going to see many homeowners maximizing their outdoor spaces like patios, porches, and decks, whether that means adding a new outdoor space or updating an existing one with new pieces, more space, or comfortable furnishings. Don’t shy away from colorful décor for an outdoor space as this shows off personality and adds fun flair.
- Smart Home Technology – Our homes are getting smarter every day, especially since a major remodeling trend in 2022 will be adding more smart home tech. Look into cool devices like doorbell cameras to add safety and smart thermostats or motorized window treatments to boost energy efficiency and comfort.
This list is here to inspire your 2022 home renovation and The Shutter Source is here to help with all your Elk Grove, CA window shutter needs. Call or visit us today to learn more about what we can do for your home and shutters.
Solariums or conservatories are fully enclosed rooms that let in an abundance of natural light, providing an immediate feeling of happiness and incredible views of the outdoors. If you’ve ever been in a solarium, you’re probably tempted to add one to your home. But they’re really expensive to build, or you might not have the space. If you want more natural light in your home but don’t have the budget to build a solarium, use these tips, like adding window shutters to your Elk Grove, CA home, to give any room a solarium feel.
- Choose a Space to Adapt – Pick a room in your home that you want to adapt. Dens, offices, or extra living spaces are best as they’re perfect for relaxing with a good book, hosting company, or simply enjoying the sun. Avoid bedrooms and TV rooms as it will be tough to get the desired darkness for sleeping or watching TV.
- Replace Windows – Change out the existing windows in the space you wish to convert for larger replacement windows. You can also add more windows in a room, even along the entire length of a wall, to achieve that glass- and light-filled solarium looks.
- Add Transom Windows – Another way to get a solarium to feel is to add transom windows on top of your existing windows. Transom windows are simply mini windows that rest above, below, or to the side of other windows, bringing more light and outdoor views into a space.
- Add Patio Doors – Try adding patio doors, French doors, or sliding glass doors into your space. This not only brings in more natural light and adds glass for the solarium feel, but also gives you great indoor-outdoor access for entertaining and daily enjoyment of your outdoor space.
- Choose Windows Carefully – One downside of all that extra natural light is that it can wreak havoc on your home’s indoor temperature and energy efficiency. That’s why, if you’re creating a solarium-like room, you need to make sure you choose modern, energy efficient windows with the features necessary to keep your home comfortable and your energy bill down. Make sure they are at least made of insulated glass, or look for ones with features like double-paned glass, low-E coating, argon filling, and other additions to reduce U-value.
- Don’t Forget About Window Treatments – While the whole idea of a solarium is maximum natural light, there might be moments when you don’t want lots of light in the room or when you want some privacy. That’s where window treatments come in. Window shutters are particularly ideal for finishing large windows as their adjustable slats allow you to easily customize the amount of light you get into the space. The slats also allow you to get a large amount of natural light while maintaining privacy.
It’s easy to get lots of natural light and a solarium feels in your home with these tips. Want more information on home improvement or Elk Grove, CA window shutters? Get in touch with The Shutter Source today.
If you’re looking to rejuvenate your style while you’re adding window shutters to your Elk Grove, CA home, boho chic might be the way to go. The term “boho” comes from the word “bohemian,” which is defined as it as “a person (such as a writer or an artist) living an unconventional life usually in a colony with others” or alternatively, “vagabond, wanderer,” according to Webster’s Dictionary.
In other words, boho means “free spirit,” so, boho chic décor is interior touches that evoke an eclectic, unconventional, and generally inviting feeling. Want to add some boho flair to your home? Let these tips serve as your inspiration:
- Focus on Texture – Lean into different textures with fringe, tassels, crochet, fake fur, hooked weaves, sheepskin, and more. Play with mixing different textures, like placing a woven pillow on a velvet sofa or a feathered art piece on a plain, clean wall.
- Mix Patterns – Forget the old rule about mixing patterns! Define a color palate, like warm, blues, or another mixture, and then go nuts with patterns that fit that palate. A hidden benefit of patterns is that they hide flaws, stains, and spills really well.
- Add an Area Rug – Area rugs add instant flair, warmth, and personality to a space. Complete your boho chic room with an area rug, even if you have carpet. Just stick to your chosen color palette and you can’t go wrong.
- Upgrade Your Windows and Treatments – The most welcoming feature a room can have is plenty of natural light. Make sure your space gets the light you like with brand new replacement windows and window treatments, like window shutters.
- Highlight Different Eras – Your grandma’s china cabinet will look great with your aunt’s mid-century coffee table in a boho chic room! Enjoy highlighting different periods and vintages, just be sure to tie them together with a similar color palette of accessories.
- Go Green – Lush greenery isn’t just for your garden. Bring plenty of outdoor beauty inside with lots and lots of house plants and flowers. Big leafy plants, succulents, and snake plants are perfect for a boho chic look, especially since they add a peaceful feeling to the space. Plus, plants are great for filling in blank spaces or softening an otherwise harsh corner.
- Find a Simple Statement Piece – Boho chic rooms can be a bit overwhelming, so it’s a good idea to choose at least one simple, clean piece. That way, the eyes can have a bit of a rest. Try keeping the couch a solid, neutral color, or make sure one wall is plain.
- Find Your Own Version – The best part of boho chic style is that it often means different things to different people. Find your own version of the style and share your story.
When you walk into a boho-design living space, it should stir your imagination. The mixture of colors, patterns, and textures invites you to explore. So have fun! The Shutter Source is here to help if you want more design tips or information on Elk Grove, CA window shutters. Call or visit us today.
What do you know about window shutters in Elk Grove, CA? You’ve probably heard that they’re beautiful, long-lasting treatments for your windows that can offer both monetary and aesthetic value. But you’ve probably also heard some things about window shutters that aren’t true. Here are some of the most common window shutter myths and their truths:
- Shutters are Expensive – Shutters aren’t cheap, but they are oftentimes a lot more affordable than other window treatment types. Plus, their initial investment will usually pay off in home value increases and energy spending decreases.
- Shutters are Hard to Install – Shutters are actually quite simple to install! While it’s very possible to install them yourself, you can also hire a shutter expert or a general handyman to help make sure the job’s done right.
- Shutters are the Same as Blinds – Blinds are window coverings with small blades that are controlled and connected by strings. While many homeowners choose blinds for their windows, they do offer several challenges. For example, they can be too thin, obstruct views, gather dust easily, and be difficult to operate, especially on wider or larger windows. Shutters, on the other hand, are not blinds. They’re made from slats that operate in hinges or tilt rods, which helps them solve all the common blind challenges.
- Shutters Only Look Good with Some Décor Styles –Though they were originally used in Southern or more traditional homes, shutters can now be easily adapted to look great on almost any home. They come in many different colors, shapes, and sizes as well as different slat sizes, making it simple to customize or choose the shutters that fit your needs and design preferences.
- Shutters Make Your Room Dark – Shutters are great at darkening a room when the slats are closed, but that doesn’t mean that you can’t get tons of natural light when the slats and shutters are open. You can rotate the slats to get light and maintain some privacy, or you can swing the entire shutter open for all the possible natural light. The amount of space a shutter frame takes up is so small that it doesn’t have any effect on the amount of natural light coming in when the shutter is fully open.
- Shutters are Hard to Clean – Shutters are actually one of the easiest window treatments to clean. Since they’re smooth and solid, all you have to do is wipe them down occasionally with a duster or microfiber cloth. Also, the slats make it easy for you to adjust and get into the smaller, hard-to-reach places.
- Shutters Don’t Work on Wide Windows – Shutters work well on windows of all shapes and sizes. From extra-wide rectangular windows to round windows and every shape in between. You can generally find pre-made shutters to fit most windows, or you can custom-order shutters that are specifically made to suit your exact windows.
Shutters are a great choice for any home. Want to learn more about your Elk Grove, CA window shutter options? The Shutter Source is here to help. Call or visit us today!
We’ve all watched those home improvement shows and thought, “I can do that!” But can we really? Home improvement, whether it’s redoing your kitchen or adding new window shutters to your Elk Grove, CA home, isn’t as simple or as easy as it looks. So, before you jump into a big DIY project, you need to seriously consider whether or not you should leave it to the professionals.
When deciding if you should DIY or hire a contractor, consider these factors cost vs. time and risk vs. reward. While there are some projects you can do yourself; you can’t forget that it will take you longer than it would take a professional. And your time is valuable. Consider the time it will take to learn how to do the task and then actually complete it, and decide if paying a professional will be worth it.
Similarly, some jobs are faster and more affordable to DIY, but they come with a much higher risk if you fail. There are also jobs that are safe and affordable, but they will take months for you to do all by yourself. Ask yourself, is it worth the risk, time, and money to DIY?
If you’ve thought through those factors and still aren’t sure, here are some examples that might help guide you:
- Interior Paint = DIY – Painting takes a long time and is messy, but it’s completely doable for the average homeowner. Just be sure to take your time, protect your floors and furniture, and always use painter’s tape.
- Electrical = Pros – If you’re not a trained electrician, don’t even think about trying to work on the electrical in your house. It’s incredibly dangerous to mess with the wiring, and you could even cause major issues that will lead to expensive fixes.
- Hardware = DIY – Simple hardware upgrades like doorknobs, light fixtures, drawers, and faucets are easy to do, cheap, and great use of your DIY time.
- Plumbing and Gas = Pros – Like electrical work, plumbing and gas should always be left to the professionals as they can be very dangerous and expensive if not done correctly.
- Installing Shelves = DIY – If you can work a drill and measuring tape, you can install shelves. Don’t be afraid to read tips or watch tutorials for additional guidance.
- Windows and Exterior Treatments = Pros – While replacing windows or changing out your exterior window treatments, like shutters, may seem simple, it’s actually very complex. This is especially true if you have an older home or specialty windows. Hire a professional with experience in windows or window treatments to make sure your home is energy efficient, safe, and clean.
At the end of the day, the question of whether or not to DIY is a personal one. Only you truly know your own skills, time, and capabilities. But remember, there is no shame in hiring someone to make sure the job is done right the first time.
Want more home improvement tips? The Shutter Source is here to help. We offer a range of Elk Grove, CA window shutter services, so call or visit us today.
With the crisp air, colorful leaves, yummy scents, and comfy sweaters, it’s no wonder people want to celebrate fall. One great way to mark the coming of autumn is to update your front porch and window shutters in Elk Grove, CA with fun fall touches. Here are some ideas on how to update your front porch for fall:
- Fall Containers – Fall is a great time for fun containers. From apple crates and bushel baskets to galvanized buckets, take advantage of the fall theme to play with different containers and various things to go in them, such as evergreen branches, dried flowers, fall berries, or even faux garlands and leaves.
- Update Your Windows – While dreary old windows might work for a haunted house, you surely want your home to look welcoming and warm. Invest in replacement windows for your front porch and home to enjoy a fresh look for fall. You can also invest in some new window treatments, like stylish and functional shutters.
- Clean It Up – Give your front porch a little TLC in the form of cleaning this fall. Scrub or wipe off your front door, wipe down your windows, and definitely sweep the leaves and dirt off the floor.
- Update Plants – Swap out your bright summer plants, flowers, or foliage for more fall-themed décor. Chrysanthemums are an excellent fall flower as they’re hardy enough for the changing weather but bright enough to add a gorgeous pop of color. Ornamental cabbage plants and perennial grasses are also great choices for fall foliage on your front porch.
- Go Beyond the Basic Pumpkin – Pumpkins are the best, but they can be kind of boring since everyone does pumpkin things for fall. Get creative with your pumpkins to set your front porch apart. For example, check out different kinds of gourds or try and paint your pumpkins bright or eye-catching colors like gold or silver.
- New Welcome Mat – There are tons of welcome mats available these days, so why not get a new one for every season? Try a fall motif or a spooky Halloween-inspired pattern, or go for a cute welcome message like “Boo” or “Hi, Pumpkin.”
- Lights – As the days grow shorter, be sure to add welcoming lights to your porch or entryway. Different size lanterns are always fun and festive, while electric candles offer up a spooky Halloween vibe. You can also try bistro lights or string lights wound on the railing or through the ceiling. As a bonus, add a motion-activated light to your porch so guests feel welcome even after the fun goes down.
- Paint the Door – Fall is a great time to paint your entry door a new color. While fall-inspired hues like yellow, red, gold, and orange are beautiful, you can also go a bit more outside the box like blue, black, or even a deep violet.
The Shutter Source is here to help if you’re ready to update your home for fall. We offer expert Elk Grove, CA window shutter services and décor tips to make your home the best it can be. Call or visit us today.
Are you planning a graduation party at your home? While graduation parties were pretty much off the table in 2020, they’re back and better than ever in 2021! Whether you’re celebrating a recent graduate, planning a delayed event for a 2020 graduate, or getting a jump start on planning something for 2022, now’s the time to make sure your graduate’s party is truly awesome. Here are tips for planning an awesome graduation party, including adding some new window shutters to your Elk Grove, CA home:
- Set the Date – If 2020 taught us anything, it’s hard to know for sure if plans will work out. But it doesn’t hurt to make them anyway. Therefore, it’s a great idea to book a date for your graduation party as soon as you can. This is especially true since most event centers, venues, and vendors are getting booked up fast because of current parties and delayed events. That being said, once you choose a date, start booking vendors as soon as you can.
- Update Your Home – If you’re hosting a graduation party at your home, you need to make sure your home is up to snuff. Be sure to spend some time making updates to your home, like adding replacement windows. New windows are simple ways to add more light, fresh air, comfort, and convenience to your home. Plus, sparkling new windows will look great in all your graduation party photos. Beyond adding new windows, you can also refresh your home with some new window treatments like window shutters.
- Make Personalized Decorations – The most special thing about your graduation party is your graduate, so use that to inspire personalized decorations. Use this as a chance to show off all they accomplished in school, be it sports, arts, education, or whatever else they love. You can also throw in some baby pictures for a fun and adorable touch.
- Rent or Borrow Chairs – If you’re hosting the party at your home, you’re going to need lots and lots of extra chairs and tables. After all, people need places to sit down, eat, relax, and chat. It’s best to look into local rental companies so you can get all the furniture you need in one place. However, if you’re working on a budget, you can also try and borrow additional chairs and tables from friends, family, or neighbors.
- Get a Caterer – Feeding a large group of people is not easy. While it’s technically possible for you to make all the food for your graduation party, it would be much, much easier to get catering. You can hire a catering company to do the food, or you can find a local restaurant that does catering for events. Plus, if you hire someone to make and serve the food, you can focus on enjoying the party.
The Shutter Source is here to help if you want more tips for home renovation or Elk Grove, CA window shutters. Call or visit us today to learn more.
You’re dreaming of updating your home. Maybe it’s revamping your bathrooms, redoing your kitchen, or adding window shutters to your Elk Grove, CA home. For the majority of renovation projects, you need to hire a contractor in order to make sure the job is done well and safely. But how do you hire a good contractor? What even makes a contractor good?
Here is a list of qualities to look for when hiring a contractor for your next remodeling need:
- They Treat Your Home as Their Own – This comes into play in two ways. First, you should always feel as if whatever they’re suggesting for your home they would do to their own home. Second, they should be respectful of your home, space, and family. While your house is their job site, it’s also your home. They should keep the space organized and as clean as possible. Finally, they need to be understanding of the fact that your life needs to continue throughout the project and should therefore try and inconvenience you as little as possible.
- They Like What They Do – While everyone has bad days at work, it’s very important that your contractor likes being a contractor. This way, they’ll take pride in the work and will be sure to do a good job. Also, enthusiasm for a project will always make it much more pleasant for everyone involved.
- They’re Good at What They Do – You don’t want a novice or unknowledgeable contractor! Look for businesses with years of experience, lots of references, and good reviews online.
- They Listen and Take Notes – It can be very frustrating when you explain your vision and the message gets lost or forgotten along the way. Look for a contractor that takes thorough notes of your conversations, vision, and desires for the project. Also, always get everything in writing so there’s a record of your talks.
- They Have a Good Crew – Even a great contractor needs help sometimes. Ask options about possible crewmembers or subcontractors like electricians, painters, and plumbers, and make sure it’s clear that anyone in your house is fully vetted and trustworthy.
- They Want to Show Off Their Work – Beyond providing references, your contractor should be excited to show you examples of past projects and success stories. Check out their website or ask for examples of local homes where they’ve completed jobs.
- They’re In Decent Shape – Contracting is a physical job, and you need someone who’s up for the task of performing the work and keeping the job site safe. Efficiency is also a huge plus! Look for contractors that are nimble and in decent shape in order to perform the job well.
Remember, always trust your gut when choosing a contractor. You need to be comfortable with whoever is working in your home, and you need to be able to trust that they’re going to do good work and keep your family safe.
Want more home improvement tips or information on Elk Grove, CA window shutters?
The Shutter Source is here to help! Stop by and visit us or give us a call today to learn more.
Whether you’re looking for someone to redo your kitchen or install new window shutters on your Elk Grove, CA home, you need a good contractor. After all, a contractor has a big impact on both your home and your wallet. Helping a project go from a plan or a dream to reality is tough, and you need the right person for the job.
Here are top tips for hiring a contractor to help make sure your job is done right:
- Come Up with a Detailed Plan – Make a list of your plans and expectations so any contractor you speak to has a clear idea of what you want and need. This plan should also include a clear, set budget. You can’t find a contractor until you know how much you want to spend.
- Consider the Type of Work – Not all contractors do the same thing. Do you need a builder? An architect? A handyman?
- Talk to Friends and Family – Your friends, family, coworkers, and neighbors have probably hired contractors in the past. Ask them for recommendations.
- Review Experience and Examples of Work – Experience really does matter, especially when it comes to contractors. The more projects someone has done, the more they will know about how to deal with your project and any issues that may arise. Ideally, you want a contractor with at least five years of experience. Don’t forget to look at examples of their past work, including those that are similar to your needs.
- Check Insurance and Licenses – Accidents can and do happen. It’s imperative that any contractor you hire has personal liability insurance, property damage coverage, and worker’s compensation. Also, look up contractor licensing requirements for your area. Each state and county differ slightly, but your local building department should have all the information you need. If your area does require a license, make sure any contractor’s is fully up to date.
- Talk About Timeline – It’s always a good idea to enter into a project with a clear idea of how long it will take. Do some research as to how long the type of project usually takes and then talk to different contractors to get their estimates. It’s a safe bet to add about eight weeks onto a timeline for delays. Also, don’t forget to ask if they’re doing any other projects at the same time as yours as this might delay things further.
- Bring Up Payment – Enter into any contractual relationship with clear expectations on how much the project will cost and how they expect to be paid. Never pay the full amount upfront.
- Go With Your Gut – The most important part of choosing a contractor is going with someone who makes you feel comfortable. This person and their team will be in your home, and you need to trust them and feel safe enough to bring up any concerns.
Want more home renovation tips? The Shutter Source is here to help. We offer expert Elk Grove, CA window shutter services and are happy to help you make your home the best it can be. Call or visit us today.
Who doesn’t dream of owning a beach house? If you’re moving from the dreaming stage of a beach house to the buying or renovating one, you need to be aware of how you can make your beach house exactly the way you’ve always wanted. Include these important finishes, like easy-to-care-for-flooring and modern window shutters on your Elk Grove, CA beach house to make sure it looks exactly the way you’ve always dreamed:
- Expansive Windows – There’s nothing like gorgeous beach or water views to make a beach house great. Make sure that you always have a great view by finishing your beach house with expansive replacement windows. Have as much window space as possible by adding picture windows with upper transoms, sliding kitchen windows, sliding glass doors, and even a few block windows for light in the bathroom. You should also make sure most of the windows are easy to open so you can enjoy that fresh sea breeze whenever you want. Casement windows are great as they crank wide for an open feel, while awning windows offer both fresh air and protection from the elements. Finally, be sure that no matter what kind of windows you choose, they’re tough enough to hold up against rough ocean weather. Impact resistant windows are the best choice when it comes to protection against heavy wind and rain.
- Modern Window Treatments – Finish off your expansive windows with window treatments that are both stylish and functional, like window shutters!
- Airy Interiors – Enjoy that indoor/outdoor vibe even more by ensuring your beach house has an airy interior. Besides adding big windows, you can achieve this by painting the walls white or off-white.
- Easy-to-Care-for Flooring – From sandy feet to saltwater and humidity, beach house floors take a beating. But the last thing you want to do on your vacation is worry about cleaning the floor. Make sure the flooring in your beach house is durable, warp-resistant, and easy to care for. Laminate hardwood or ceramic tile are great options, while wall-to-wall carpet or true hardwood is probably not the best choices. If you love carpets, opt for lots of rugs that you can clean and care for as needed.
- Outdoor Shower – While it feels like the ultimate luxury, an outdoor shower will also keep the sand, salt, and dirt outside where they belong.
- Comfy Furniture – You don’t want to be worried about ruining are caring for your beach house furniture. Choose upholstery that resists stains, or opt for slipcovers that you can toss in the wash. For that breezy feeling, go for light colored fabrics for the big pieces and add color and interest with accents like throw pillows, rugs, art, and blankets.
- Durable Dinnerware – You’re going to be eating outside a lot at a beach house, so make sure you have plates, glasses, cups, and silverware that won’t break easily, even when taken out to the beach for a bonfire.
Are you ready to make your beach house dream-worthy? The Shutter Source is here to help! For more design or décor tips, or if you have questions on Elk Grove, CA window shutters, call or visit us today.