There are two main ways you can install window shutters on your Elk Grove, CA home: inside mounts or outside mounts. Inside mounted shutters fit inside a window opening’s recessed depth, while outside mounted shutters attach to the wall or trim surrounding the window opening.
Many people assume that inside mounts are better as they seem more secure, but outside mounts actually offer a wide range of benefits such as:
- Extended Depth – Outside mount shutters are ideal for windows with no recess depth, as their frame pushes the shutter panel out into the outdoors or room, thereby giving more clearance for the slats to be fully operational without hitting the window glass or another obstacle.
- Hiding Imperfections – Most windows aren’t perfectly square or level. Outside mounted shutters hide any variances in the window opening shape for a cleaner and more streamlined look. You can also cover up old trim by simply installing an outside mounted shutter frame or hide away any window imperfection without having to pull out caulk, shims or other annoying home improvement tools.
- Tilt Function – Inside mounted shutters block any tilt-in window function, while outside mounts do not. You want your windows to tilt in to make cleaning easier. With outside mounted shutters, simply open the shutter panel to have full access to your tilting window.
- Avoid Obstacles – Many windows have accessories like alarm sensors or crank handles that can be obstructed by inside mount windows. These accessories are especially common on patio doors and casement windows. An inside mount can prevent you from turning the crank to open a casement window or pulling a door handle to open your sliding patio doors. Keep your existing accessories by choosing an outside mount.
- French Door Coverage – French doors are usually built with the glass flush to the door itself, making it nearly impossible to install inside mount shutters. Outside mount shutters are much better for French doors.
- Reduce Light Blockage – Inside mount shutters can cover up too much of a window opening on short or narrow windows, as the frame, solid top, bottom rails and vertical stiles take up a lot of space and therefore block a lot of light. Outside mount shutters are ideal for smaller windows as they don’t block any of the window area unless they’re closed.
- Easier Installation – The outside mount installation method is much more forgiving in terms of accurate measurements, ease of installation, and room for error. You can easily get custom shutters for any window and have them installed in an outside mount style with great success.
Outside mount shutter installations offer many benefits for homeowners, but sometimes inside mounts are a better option. Do you want to learn more about inside and outside mount shutters, or would you like more guidance on choosing the right kind of installation for your Elk Grove, CA window shutters? Just reach out to The Shutter Source by visiting us at 11265 Sunrise Gold Cir Ste K Rancho Cordova, CA 95742 or giving us a call at (877) 333-9424 today.